Saturday, April 16, 2011

#4 Windows Live: Skydrive (LIS5937:Info. Lit.)

I am very interested in Web 2.0 and how it can be used to increase a library's presence. Because of this, I have been playing around with Web 2.0 applications that I am not yet familiar with. As a millennial (born in 1984) I regularly use Facebook, instant messaging, and more, but there are many other applications I have yet to encounter. Because of a random email from Microsoft, I have just discovered Windows Live and Sky Drive. I think it's pretty neat that you can create a Word, Excel, PowerPoint, or OneNote document on Windows Life and store it online in Sky Drive for free. It also looks as though you can invite others to collaborate on the documents with you. It sounds like it may be similar to Google Docs. I have also found that I can use Sky Drive to upload a PowerPoint presentation file and embed it into a blog. So I am going to attempt to embed the PPT presentation I created for this class and embed it into this blog. We'll see what happens! Technology can be pretty neat. :)

Here is the link to the tutorial for embedding a PPT into a blog:
http://blogs.office.com/b/office_blog/archive/2010/09/24/say-more-in-your-blog-with-embedded-powerpoint-and-excel-files.aspx



In Information Literacy Instruction:
This feature of Skydrive allows instructors to post slides from an instruction session into a class blog or librarian blog so that students can access the information later on. In addition, tutorials could be created using PowerPoint and the tutorials could also be posted in a blog or website created by a librarian. The tutorials could range from how to search for a scholarly journal article in library databases, to a wide variety of other information needs.


Learning about WindowsLive and Sky drive has been very helpful to me. I have been able to post PowerPoint presentations, Word documents, and other Microsoft Office documents to my blogs and web sites for the sharing of information. It gives the completed product a nice professional look and also shows of one's techno-savvy skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment